Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Lipsticks - My Thoughts

This probably won't be the first, or the last time you see Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets featured on a blog; bloggers have gone pretty mental for them so I thought I'd also give my opinion on them. They come in 8 different shades and the formula is a highly pigmented, matte liquid lipstick. They kind of remind me of a Limecrime Velvetine but the formula is actually nicer and they're more forgiving when applying as they don't stain your skin.

bourjois-rouge-edition-velvet

rouge-edition-velvet

bourjois-rouge-edition-velvet-swatches

bourjois-rouge-edition-velvet-hot-pepper

bourjois-rouge-edition-velvet-nudeist

The two colours I chose are 'Hot Pepper' (perfect bright, orange toned red) and 'Nude-ist' (a slight rose toned nude). As you will see, Hot Pepper does look quite daunting and it wouldn't normally be a colour I'd go for but surprisingly I do actually think it suits me and there aren't many reds out there that do! Nude-ist isn't what I'd call a traditional nude shade because it's so wearable, I think the word 'nude' conjures up this image in our heads that it's going to be a wash-out, concealer type shade but this is so different. If you're looking for a winter shade but you don't think you can quite pull off a dark shade of plum then this would be a great starting point. Admittedly, they both look better with a liner; I've been using Rimmel 1000 Kisses liner in 'Spice' for the nude shade but I have yet to find a good match for the orangey red.

It's fairly easy to apply and it's buildable so you can layer it up for an extra bold look or you can just do a thin coat if you just want a wash of colour; I personally like to layer it up with 2-3 coats. The matte formula is quite a weird one to get used to especially if you're not used to matte lip products. It applies like liquid but dries completely matte with very little smudging or transferring and it can feel a little dry. I actually found that the nude one was a little more drying than the red but that could be partly due to the liner. I'm often tempted to soften things up a little with a balm but it would probably ruin the whole look, I guess with any matte lip product there is going to be a level of dryness because of course matte is a 'dry' look whereas obviously a gloss is a wet look... am I making sense?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I really enjoy wearing both of these shades and I can deal with a bit of a dry feeling because I love the shades so much and I think they wear really nicely, you don't have to constantly reapply and they don't sink into the cracks of your lips or anything like that. I'm actually eyeing up one more shade which is 'Grand Cru', it looks like a really nice deep plum shade which is perfect for autumn/winter.

No comments