Things to do in Kefalonia

A couple of weeks ago I came back from a week in Kefalonia, you may have seen my post reviewing the Magnolia Resort where I stayed in the small resort of Katelios. The resort was quiet with only a few hotels and some sea front tavernas so I decided that it would be a good idea to hire a car and actually explore the island which is something I've never done before when I've been on holiday. The first day I stayed in Katelios and had a look down at the sea front to see what I had on the door step, the beach at Katelios mainly pebble and isn't the widest beach, which I aren't too keen on because it means sunbathing isn't as comfy and going in the sea is difficult unless you have proper shoes (which I don't have)

kefalonia-beach
 A nice shaded area on a bench

katelios-kefalonia
 Motor boat hire on the sea front, Katelios
katelios-beach
 Not the prettiest beach at Katelios, the sand was 'littered' with bits of seaweed, grass, stone and wood.

katelios-sea
 The water however was beautifully clear

beach-in-kefalonia

pebble-beach
As you can see, the sand is mixed with lots of pebbles and stones, not good on your feet!


Katelios was a nice base but to be honest there isn't much going on, it is very quiet and isn't for those who like a late night... but I must also say that I don't think Katelios is an island for anyone who wants late night entertainment; the general rule for Greece is that all outdoor music is turned off for 12 and all businesses adhere to this.

kefalonia-care-hire
Our little 1L Fiat Panda, used for getting us up and down and round the corners of Kefalonia, poor thing. However, it served us well; it had air conditioning and was amazing on fuel economy!

I decided there were quite a few places I wanted to see in the car and I managed to do it all in 1 day, a whole 6 hours of driving which did take its toll towards the end but at least I could see the whole thing and decide if I wanted to revisit anywhere the next day for longer. I wanted to visit all the most talked about beaches with some quiet little cove beaches along the way!

antisamos-beach

antisamos-beach

antisamos-beach

antisamos-seafront

captain-corellis-mandolin-beach
 Antisamos Beach (the Italian encampment on Captain Corelli's Mandolin) 

blue-sea-kefalonia

shingle-beach-kefalonia
 Teeny Tiny beach I found, I both went in for a quick dip on the way to our next destination, stones/pebbles were a real issue here though!

myrtos-beach

myrtos-beach
 Myrtos Beach

This is such a beautifully different beach, the water is such a vivid blue it's like something out of a cartoon, the only thing with it is that the current is strong so they don't recommend that you go out very far as there's a danger of even the strongest swimmers getting stuck. It was also the site of the mine explosion in Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

Karminia-beach
Karminia Beach - Our Favourite

You can walk out for ages in the sea without it getting any deeper than your waist. It is the site where turtles often lay eggs and although I didn't see any of this if you go at the right time of year they say that you can see some tell tale signs of turtles!

Looking back, I had a great time in Kefalonia, at the time I was a bit disappointed that the beaches weren't as sandy as I'd hoped but on the balance of things it was a really lovely holiday. Once I found the beach I liked I as all set but what I will say is that unless you like staying in the same resort for a week, you need to hire a car because all the different beaches are unreachable without a car. 

If I was to go back I would not stay in Katelios as although there were some nice tavernas on the sea front, there wasn't a lot more life in the resort, I do think Skala is better in terms of life and things to do (which is the next resort along). 

Have you ever been to a Greek island?

No comments