Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Brightening Toner Review

As you've probably noticed I've got back into a proper combination skin skincare routine just lately and my skin seems to be really thanking me for it, I've just had a bit of a breakout on one side of my face which is the side I usually sleep on so I've just been replacing my pillowcase more often to reduce the risk of a build up of bacteria causing spots. 

Anyway, the point of this post is to introduce 'toning' as part of a skincare routine. There will be lots of people reading this thinking 'errr...well I always use a toner, why does she feel the need to introduce it?' well the simple reason is that I feel it is a largely ignored part of a skincare routine because I don't think people fully understand why it is important. Before I bought the Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Toner I didn't think it was necessary; I just used Alpha H Liquid Gold twice/three times a week and just cleansed and moisurised the rest of the time. But I can honestly say I wouldn't be without a toner now.

clarins-gentle-exfoliating-brightening-toner-review

clarins-gentle-exfoliating-brightening-toner-review
Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Brightening Toner £20 Escentual

This Clarins number is a toner and a gentle exfoliator in one, containing tamarind and white nettle it helps to smooth and soften the skin whilst strengthening the skins resistance to wrinkles, prevents a build up of dead skin cells and promotes the growth of new ones. It contains AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) which is the acid used in many facial peels but at a lot lower concentration level so it still helps to reduce the signs of ageing but isn't so harsh on your skin which is why it's fine for most people to use this gentle exfoliating toner as part of their every day routine. It also contains Glycolic and Salicylic acid which are both well known for the effective treatment of skin complaints such as acne (I see these ingredients and I'm all over these products like a rash!).

I personally love the toning step of my skincare routine, once I've cleansed properly it just seems natural to cool my skin down with something before I apply any moisturiser. In my opinion the Clarins toner does not smell chemically in any way at all, it has that 'signature' Clarins scent which I think lots of their products smell like. I use this on the days that I don't use Alpha H and I do believe a proper routine is making a difference to how my skin looks, my makeup seems to sit better for longer and I'm getting less bouts of acne. I've had the odd (painful) spot and a little break out just recently but as I say, I think that's due to my pillowcase as it's only one side of my face. The only issue I'm still having is oil breakthrough during the day, if you have any recommendations for how I can reduce this I'd love you to let me know in a comment. 

The Clarins Exfoliating Toner isn't cheap at £20 a pop but if you like using Alpha H Liquid Gold I'd definitely recommend that you try this too, the only thing I would change about it is I'd put it in a pump bottle, I just find it difficult to get the right amount onto a cotton pad with bottles like this, Pixi have got it right with their 'Glow Tonic' as that is a pump bottle.

No comments