Byron Burger York Review

I'm no stranger to a good burger and I like to think that I can make a pretty reasoned judgement as to whether a burger is decent; to be honest the moment that any burger serving establishment says something like 'is medium ok for your burger, slightly pink?' you know it's probably going to be good (this is because if it's a frozen, or less meaty burger they'd not be able to serve anything pink - it'd just be grey or nothing.)

We visited Byron Burger in York the other day; I've been before but Kev hasn't and I wanted him to experience it as I really enjoyed the one I had in London (and I had my fingers crossed that they wouldn't disappoint). I'll be honest and say that on first impressions of the interior it's potentially not great; where we were sat near the back the booth seating looked like it had seen better days but I do also think that it's possibly part of the Byron branding - to be more hipster, cool and industrial rather than refined and sophisticated... it is a burger joint after all.

byron-burger-york

byron-burger-york

byron-burger-menu

byron-burger-york

We went in at around 12pm and it quickly started to fill up with customers which is obviously a tell-tale sign of their popularity. As you can probably see from the menu, Byron concentrate on burgers but they do offer beef, chicken or vegan options plus a selection of upgrades to your fries which is something I do like to see on a menu just to be able to switch normal fries for something a bit more exciting.

Both me and Kev went for a B-Rex burger which is a beef patty, an onion ring, bacon, American cheese, jalapeños, pickles, onions, BBQ sauce and mayonnaise. We decided against the jalapeños because neither of us are particularly fond of hot food and although I don't mind jalapeños on nachos, that's about the limit of when I'll eat them. I also changed my normal fries for courgette fries which, if you haven't tried them, are an absolute must I think! I was very tempted to add cheese sauce onto normal fries but courgette fries win every time for me (they're actually one of the main reasons why I like Byron Burger).

b-rex-burger

b-rex-burger

courgette-fries

byron-burger-fries

Both burgers are obviously photographed before we started eating them and I can confirm that they got a whole lot messier than that, which is another sign of a good burger in my book! They were incredibly juicy and the extra toppings were the perfect combination to make a really, really tasty burger. I particularly enjoy courgette fries; they did leave a little bit of grease in the bottom of the pot but I can deal with that seeing as they didn't taste greasy at all!

I can highly recommend Byron if you're partial to a good burger; the only slightly downside to anyone living up north is that they only have 4 branches north of Birmingham; the one in York, Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool but it's well worth a visit if you're in any one of those cities.

Other amazing burger places up north include Urban Fresh Burgers (Doncaster), Meat Liquor (Leeds) and the Prince of Wales (Sheffield)

No comments