How to Make Your Own Yoghurt with EasiYo

The EasiYo maker and powders were kindly gifted to me, I have not been paid to post this review. 

To me, this is the 'gadget' that you didn't know you needed in your life and when I say gadget I don't mean some hi-tech piece of electronic equipment - I actually mean one of the simplest little inventions ever. The EasiYo makes the tastiest, creamiest yoghurt which is totally free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives and comes in so many different flavours from fat free natural yoghurt and low fat greek style yoghurt to everyday strawberry yoghurt there's so many different flavours and what's even more convenient is that Morrisons have started stocking the EasiYo makers as well as the powders.

Why should I make my own yoghurt?
The EasiYo yoghurt maker makes making your own yoghurt into a simple 3 step process... but why would you want to go to the 'hassle' of making your own yoghurt when there's hundreds of different types that you could just go and buy from the supermarket? Well because a lot of the yoghurts we buy from supermarkets are full of artificial colours, flavours and preservatives whereas yoghurt made with EasiYo is all natural. Also, yoghurt made with EasiYo is full of good bacteria, and yes shop bought yoghurt will contain some but because it's not totally fresh and has been made for some time (check the long dates on some yoghurts!) a lot of the good bacteria won't be anywhere near as effective at balancing your stomach as fresh homemade yoghurt.

easiyo-starter-kit

easiyo-yoghurt
 EasiYo Starter Kit (£21.99, also available in Morrisons)
easiyo-strawberry-yoghurt

how-to-make-your-own-yoghurt

How easy is it to make yoghurt with the EasiYo?
I'll be honest and say that I thought it would be such a faff because you assume that something like yoghurt will take hours and there'll be too many steps to even bother thinking about attempting it but actually this makes it so easy. You literally:

  • Pour tap water into the clear plastic container until half full
  • Pour in the sachet
  • Shake it 
  • Fill it with water nearly to the top
  • Pour boiling water into the big red container
  • Put the clear plastic container into the big red container
  • Pour in boiling water
  • Leave it for at least 8 hours
When I was asked if I wanted to try the EasiYo I genuinely thought I was going to receive some sort of machine but this is so simple. Once the 8 hours is up then you transfer it into the fridge and it should keep for 1-2 weeks; 1 jar is equivalent to 1kg of yoghurt and trust me, it's that nice, mine never lasts for 1 week never mind 2 and I'm on my own!

How does it work?
"In order to grow, lactic cultures require heat and a source of milk sugar (lactose) on which to feed. They also have an optimal heat at which to grow (between 40-50 degrees C).The unique EasiYo Yogurt Maker creates the controlled heat needed to activate all the LACTIC CULTURES present in the EasiYo Yogurt Mix Sachets. Our freeze dried cultures reactivate and divide in the perfect conditions in the EasiYo Yogurt Maker" (EasiYo Website)

Would I recommend it?
I would, especially if you're looking for a yoghurt which contains more good bacteria than what you find in the supermarket. EasiYo yoghurt mixes do not contain any gluten and they are suitable for vegetarians. I also think an EasiYo maker would be fab for anyone with young children as it'll be a bit like magic for them and they can be a part of the whole process. At £21.99 for a starter kit, it's very affordable and can be bought in store in Morrisons so you should be able to pick one up with your weekly shop.

No comments