Baked Parmesan Zucchini Recipe

Pinterest recipes are notorious for looking absolutely amazing in theory but in practise can be another thing altogether; I think we've all seen those Pinterest fail posts where things haven't quite turned out how they should be so I thought it would be an idea to start a little 'Pinterest Tried and Tested' series on Girl Up North because I'm quite up for a bit of experimenting and I think it'd be quite fun.

baked-parmesan-zucchini-recipe

The first thing I've tried is a recipe which I have actually adapted for those of you who are following the Slimming World plan, although I would imagine that it works just fine if you do it the exact way shown by Damn Delicious. The recipe looked fairly easy without any complicated ingredients so off I trotted to the supermarket.

Ingredients:

- 2 Courgettes (the recipe says 4 but I knew it would make way too many)
- 30g grated parmesan
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsbp garlic salt/granules/powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry Light

If you've clicked over to Damn Delicious you'll notice that I haven't included some of the stuff they did, this is purely because I decided I didn't need them as 2 herbs was quite enough to give it flavour especially because parmesan and garlic are both quite strong flavours themselves.

parmesan-zucchini

Method:

- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees

- Combine the parmesan, thyme, oregano, garlic granules and salt and pepper together in a bowl. 

- Cut the courgettes in half and then quarter them to make chunky chip sized pieces. I found I had to half some of the quarters again because they were a bit too chunky and I was worried they wouldn't cook through properly. Line a baking tray with tin foil and spray with fry light to stop them sticking and lay the courgette pieces out with as equal spacing as you can manage.

- Spray the courgette with Fry Light making sure that each one gets some kind of coating because that will give your parmesan mix something to stick to. 

- Sprinkle on the parmesan mixture as best you can (I found it was better just to dunk the ones which weren't catching much into the mix itself)

- Put in the middle of the oven to bake for 15 mins (or longer if you feel they need it). I checked half way through to see how they were doing and sprinkled the left over mix over them. 

- Once you are happy that they are cooked through, put them under the grill for 3 minutes to brown them off.

And there you go, baked parmesan zucchini!

baked-parmesan-zucchini

Were they nice? Hell yes!

I ate a plateful of these as a 'small snack' because they were just too good not to finish off while they were hot. These are a great way of getting a veg onto your place without it being boring and bland and I was really surprised at how well they worked. They were tender but crispy when you had your first bite - basically everything I was expecting and more! I'll definitely make these again in the very near future and I can 100% say that these really are as good as they look on Pinterest!

Slimming World Information: 
If using the 30g parmesan as your healthy extra A choice these would be totally free and they count as one of your S foods! If you don't want to count it as your healthy A then it would be 6 syns for the whole lot (or obviously if you were sharing it in half would only be 3... you get my drift).

No comments